- B.C. Home
- Ministry of Citizens’ Services and Open Government
- Office of the Chief Information Officer
- About the OCIO
- Architecture and Standards
- Identity Information Management
- Information Security
- Intellectual Property Program
- Legislation, Privacy and Policy
- Network BC
- Strategic Partnerships
- Contact Us
Provincial Identity Information Management Program
In July 2012, the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) established the Provincial Identity Information Management (IDIM) Program with the mandate to deliver secure and privacy-enhancing identity services for citizens and businesses to support access to government services and information.
In November 2011, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act was amended to include a designation of a Provincial Identity Information Services Provider (PIISP) with authority to provide the specific services for the Province of British Columbia. In July 2012, the Minister of Citizens’ Services and Open Government designated its ministry as the provider. For more information, visit FOIPPA Legislation, Regulations and Orders.
BC Services Card
The BC Services Card lays the foundation for changing the way BC citizens interact with their government. It will enable citizens to access a wide range of government services in-person and online – all with one privacy-respecting secure card.
The Government of BC established the BC Services Card Project in 2011 as a multi-year, multi-phase project to develop a smartcard credential and associated identity information management system, issue the cards to BC citizens and enable access to government services using the cards and identity information services.
Strategies and Initiatives
The Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) has been developing strategies and initiatives about Identity Information Management over the past decade.
- BC Services Card for Citizens 2011-present
- BCeID for Citizens and Businesses 2002-present
- IDIM Standards Development 2010-present
- IDIM as part of the IM/IT Enablers Strategy 2011 (PDF 2.40mb)
- IDIM Conceptual Solution Design 2009 (PDF 2.00mb)
- IDIM Architecture Summary 2009 (PDF 801kb)
- IDIM Education Module 2009
- Information Access Layer Project 2008-2009
- Trust and Identity Management Report 2007 (PDF 778kb)
- BC Identity Management Forum 2007
- Identity Management and Authentication Task Force 2007
For more information or to provide feedback please send an email to the IDIM Program.